Saturday, February 16, 2008

crisp 7th Street Cafe - Salad Sensation in Elizabeth

First I like the name. It conjures thoughts of fresh and vibrant ingredients. Next I enjoy being in the space. The dining area has a green leaf design on the walls that creates a vibe that is serene and cool. The food prep line from which you order your food attractively shows off the wholesome array of spring mix, spinach, butter or romaine lettuce and a choice of interesting toppings. You also can select a protein choice that includes grilled flat iron steak, herb marinated grilled chicken, herb roasted turkey and grilled teriyaki shrimp. The day I was there the specials were a salad with pesto marinated shrimp and turkey, black bean chili. I opted for one of the house designed signature salads. The steakhouse salad consisted of romaine lettuce, grilled flat iron steak – cooked to order, portabella mushrooms, tomatoes, blue cheese crumbles, grilled red onion and balsamic vinaigrette. Very impressively prepared. Your order is taken and custom made to your liking right in front of you. Salt and freshly ground pepper are added to your liking and the protein is married to the salad at the end of line. Its dressed and served in a hefty bowl. Get your beverage from the case near the cashier, settle your tab have a seat and enjoy. I thoroughly enjoyed my meal. All of the veggies were bursting with flavor and freshness and yes crisp. The steak was prepared just as I ordered it and the quantity was enough to be satisfying but not so much as to ruin the whole idea of having salad to begin with. Most importantly it was tender and delicious.

While on the road to building a better godfather I will be consuming many salads. I am sure a good many of them will be enjoyed at crisp. It is a tribute to crisp that I look forward to trying all the many salad options that they and I can come up with.

No comments: